Today we are pleased to announce that geocoding has launched for both Australia and New Zealand. What this means is that you can now convert specific Australian or New Zealand street addresses into latitude & longitude so you can plot them on a map. Go ahead and try it out on Google Maps.
We are looking forward to seeing a flood of creative mashups come out of Australia and New Zealand. There are already a lot of great examples out there in diverse areas such as real estate, adventure tracks and even Australian Football League stadiums. I personally can’t wait to see the ski fields of New Zealand and the best beaches in Australia mashed up!
I can’t really add any more to this than “Cool!”. Domain has recently launched a beta of using the Google Maps as mentioned by the Google post, I think we’ll see a whole lot of Australian sites start this now. Yay! Kudos to the Domain guys for getting in first!
Other locations I looked up just ’cause I can:
- Glenmore Park Anglican Church
- Penrith Plaza (Westfield Penrith)
- The MCG in Victoria
- My previous house in Emu Plains
- My old house in Hoppers Crossing (The street is a wee bit off line)
- My primary school in Hoppers Crossing
- They get Ludmilla Primary School in Darwin wrong though, it’s actually over here
So. Very. Cool.